THE sight-seer driving through the magnificent park system around Philadelphia, in passing through the beautiful Wissahickon Park, usually has his attention called to the "Monastery," a massive stone building erected in 1738, now occupied as a farm house. Its historical interest arises from the fact that it served as the place of worship of a peculiar sect which came from Germany in the early history of the Province of Pennsylvania, known as German Pietists, but more especially designated by the denizens of the neighborhood as the "Hermits of the Ridge.
Log in to read this article
Not a subscriber to JSH-Online? Subscribe today and receive online access to The Christian Science Journal, Sentinel, and Herald including digital editions of the print periodicals, Web original articles, blogs, and podcasts, over 30,000 minutes of Sentinel Radio and audio chats, searchable archive going back to 1883! Learn More.