For several years prior to 1901, meetings were held at intervals at various homes in the city, where the weekly lessons were read. From 1901 to 1905 meetings were held regularly at 408 Market Street, and a public reading room was established at the same location. On January 4, 1905, at a meeting held for the purpose, the Christian Science society was duly organized, with thirteen members. Officers were elected and later, rules were adopted for the guidance of members. The first Sunday school was organized and began its meetings in August of the same year and the first public Christian Science lecture was given in October following.
Meetings were continued at the above location until July, 1906, when the society moved to quarters in the Kirk building. 38 North Sixth Street. These premises were occupied until April, 1910, when it became necessary to vacate on account of the property having been sold. The society then established quarters in rooms in the Schultz Opera Block, North Fifth Street. Here the work was continued until it was found necessary to obtain larger and more desirable quarters, and in April, 1914, rooms were taken in the Monumental Building, which were occupied until the completion of our present church building, in which the first services were held November 4, 1917.
In the meantime, at a special meeting of members held November 18, 1913, it was voted to organize as a church. Following this action a charter was obtained, rules and regulations were formulated and adopted, and at its tenth annual meeting of members on January 9, 1914, the Christian Science Society dissolved and was succeeded by the present organization, First Church of Christ, Scientist, Zanesville, Ohio.