CHRISTIAN SCIENCE is just of age in Europe, as it was in 1890 that Mrs. Eddy sent the first worker to London, and an office was opened in Hanover square. Those early days demanded untold patience and perseverance. Even the Radical elements in England are renowned for their conservatism. In this very conservatism, however, lie durable foundations. The progress, though it may have been slow, has been extraordinarily sure. Today, Christian Science is established in a way which it is beyond human will to uproot. Six years passed, and then, in 1896, the first public meeting in Europe was held in the Portman rooms. These filled so rapidly that a year later the disused synagogue in Bryanston street was acquired, and opened Nov. 7, 1897, as the first permanent home of the Christian Science cause in London. This was the occasion of Mrs. Eddy's first message to the movement in Europe, as follows:
Today a nation is born. Spiritual apprehension unfolds, transfigures, heals. With you be there no more sea, no ebbing faith, no night. Love be thy light upon the mountain of Israel. God will multiply thee.
The attendance increased rapidly, but it was not until June, 1900, that First Church, London, was formed. After this the progress was even more rapid, and it was found necessary to abandon Bryanston street in favor of an empty Wesleyan chapel, standing on part of a freehold site in Chelsea. During the occupation of the chapel the Thanksgiving service was read for the first time, but on New Year day, as there is no Thanksgiving day in England. On hearing of this, Mrs. Eddy wrote to the Teachers' Association:—