PROBABLY one of the first incidents concerning New Haven, with respect to Christian Science, occurred when in 1879 Mrs. Eddy presented an autograph copy of its text-book, "Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures," to Noah Porter, at that time the honored president of Yale University. Some time afterward, President Porter presented it to the Yale library, where the volume now is.
In 1886 a physician of the old school, who had practised medicine in New Haven for forty-seven years, having become interested in Christian Science through the healing of his two daughters, closed his office and gave up medical practice. On Jan.10, 1887, this doctor and his wife entered a class which was taught by Mrs. Eddy. The doctor then opened his former office, located in the Boardman Building, corner of Chapel and State streets, as a Christian Science practitioner, where for some years he continued the practice of Christian Science healing. In connection with this event, it is a mutter of interest that the doctor's last patient under materia medica and his first in Christian Science was the same individual and one who for many years was a member of this church.
During August,1888, the first class in Christian Science in New Haven was taught by a loyal student of Mrs. Eddy. The first Christian Science church service was held in Fair Haven on a certain Sunday; thereafter meetings were held on Sundays and Friday afternoons, at the rooms of the practitioner above referred to. These rooms were occupied by the Christian Scientists until the time came for the regular establishment of the organization.