Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to header Skip to footer

I wish to tell of what Christian Science...

From the April 1921 issue of The Christian Science Journal

I wish to tell of what Christian Science has done for me. I had a regular passion for tobacco, in the pipe and cigars, and especially for chewing. The desire left me after only one Christian Science treatment. I did not have to give up tobacco, it gave me up, so that it was impossible for me to accept a smoke when offered to me on several occasions after my healing.

For several years I had suffered from a large red spot on my leg, due to a skin trouble which was accompanied by insufferable itching; on the other leg I had eczema, and varicose veins on both. My legs were so swollen that I could tie my shoes only with great difficulty. Later I suffered great pain in my arms, legs, and neck, so that I could hardly lift my hands to my head, and had great difficulty in going upstairs. Through Christian Science the red spot on my leg disappeared, as did the pain. The worst of the varicose veins was healed almost instantly and this was soon followed by the healing of the others and the eczema.

Several weeks later, I felt ill for several days as the result of a disordered stomach and jaundice. This was a so-called hereditary trouble, my father having passed on with this and other troubles when he was about my age. I felt better after the first treatment, but I could eat hardly anything and had to stop my work. When I did so I was compelled to see a doctor, on account of being employed by the city administration. He found my condition such that he wanted to send me to the hospital immediately. I refused this and relied entirely on Christian Science, knowing that God is All-power and that He is the only Physician. The doctor gave me some medicine, which, however, remained untouched. The following week there was improvement, so I asked the doctor to allow me to return to work; but instead of granting my request he added another four days to my leave, at the end of which I again had to see him. I felt quite well, but he thought otherwise and still urged me to go to the hospital, declaring my condition to be serious. I returned home to discuss the matter with my wife. We both decided against the hospital and finally the doctor gave me permission to return to work, but with instructions to see him again in four days. Thanks be to God everything went so well that I was able to work again without fatigue and felt as well as I ever did.

Sign up for unlimited access

You've accessed 1 piece of free Journal content


Subscription aid available

 Try free

No card required

More In This Issue / April 1921


Explore Concord—see where it takes you.

Search the Bible and Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures