When I was in college and came home for Christmas break, one Sunday morning I decided to make some tea. Our family had just moved to a new house and the kitchen was unfamiliar to me. It was an unusual shape with many angles, including a strangely oriented stove top.
I set a teakettle on the electric stove and turned the burner on high. After some time, I noticed that the kettle hadn’t boiled, so I reached over the counter to lift up the kettle. To balance myself, I placed my left hand firmly on one of the other burners, thinking it was off, but I was wrong. I’d turned on that burner by mistake and it was glowing red-hot.
The pain I felt was immediate and extreme. I screamed loudly, but my sister (the only other person home at the time) was in the shower and didn’t hear me. Just as immediately, however, I turned to God.