Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to header Skip to footer

Finding Science and Health; diabetes healed

From the January 2001 issue of The Christian Science Journal

At the time I was introduced to Christian Science, I was divorced and had full custody of my two children, aged two and four. I had a high-school education and no business experience, but I loved my children and knew I would find a way to support them. I had been seeking happiness in worldly ways and not finding it. I went to the Christian Science Reading Room and borrowed a copy of Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, by Mary Baker Eddy. When I started reading it, I couldn't put it down. I knew it was what I was looking for. I would hold it in one hand and fix a sandwich for the children with the other—I was feeling happier with each page I read. In time I found an office job and learned bookkeeping by following what the previous bookeeper had done. I trusted God to show me the way, and He did.

We attended church and Sunday School regularly. I remember passing a popular playground one Sunday morning with my son, who was about six years old. He said to me, "Mommy, I'm glad we're going to Sunday School and not to the playground." I was so grateful that he, too, was feeling the value of the spiritual truths we were learning. My daughter was four at the time and would tell me, "God is Love" or "God loves you, Mommy." Children are so quick to accept these truths.

There were many healings along the way. Childhood diseases were quickly healed through my study and prayer and, at times, with the help of a Christian Science practitioner. There were healings of accidents, and a very bad dog bite was healed overnight. My son was healed of the effects of a serious fall from the rafters of a new gym being built at his school. It was his sophomore year in high school. I was called at my office and told that he had a broken shoulder, a broken leg, a concussion, and that he was unconscious. A Christian Science practitioner was called, who went to the school to be with him. I was in Dallas, Texas, and he was in St. Louis, Missouri. I decided to call a practitioner to pray for me, because I wasn't sure what to do. The next morning I called the school, and they said, "Would you like to talk to John?" What music to my ears! I asked him if he wanted me to come, but he said that he was doing fine. He was in no pain, the practitioner was treating him, and, he assured me, God was right there with him. I told him how much I loved him and that I would come any time he wanted me to. He said he was going to church that evening. He did, and then went to school the next day. The accident was on Tuesday, and the following Monday he played soccer with the team. It was a complete healing, and he never had problems from it.

Sign up for unlimited access

You've accessed 1 piece of free Journal content


Subscription aid available

 Try free

No card required

More in this issue / January 2001


Explore Concord—see where it takes you.

Search the Bible and Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures