THE cause of Christian Science in the national capital has experienced uninterrupted growth since Mrs. Eddy taught a class in Washington—about 1882. No organized work, however, was effected until 1890, when one of Mrs. Eddy's students formed a Bible class, which held meetings until the spring of 1895. At this time a society was organized, its first service being held March 17, 1895.
In the fall of the same year two of Mrs. Eddy's students took up the work in the field, and the little society already formed united with them to advance further the cause of Christian Science. Meetings were held for a time in the parlors of a private residence, but the members increased so rapidly that it became necessary to find larger accommodations, and Willard Hall was secured. Although the surroundings were not such as were desired, the attendance steadily increased, and in 1896 the Scottish Rite Hall was obtained, in which services were held until a suitable church property was purchased.
First Church of Christ, Scientist, was organized Oct. 26, 1895, and incorporated under the laws of the District of Columbia June 13, 1898. The next advance step was in February, 1904, when the organization took possession of the church property located at the corner of 15th and R streets, which had been purchased from an orthodox congregation. At the opening services in this edifice the following telegram, which had. been sent by Mrs. Eddy, was read (The First Church of Christ, Scientist, and Miscellany, p. 203):—