[Reprinted from the Christian Science Sentinel of August 8, 1983] The Chancery Division of the Superior Court of New Jersey ruled on June 17, 1983, that a church group in Plainfield, New Jersey, from which branch church recognition was withdrawn on June 14, 1977, must stop • using the name Independent Christian Science Church; • using the terms "Christian Science" and "Church of Christ, Scientist" to identify their organization. From 1907 to 1977 the Plainfield group had functioned under the name First Church of Christ, Scientist, Plainfield, as a branch of The Mother Church, The First Church of Christ, Scientist, in Boston, Massachusetts.
Log in to read this article
Not a subscriber to JSH-Online? Subscribe today and receive online access to The Christian Science Journal, Sentinel, and Herald including digital editions of the print periodicals, Web original articles, blogs, and podcasts, over 30,000 minutes of Sentinel Radio and audio chats, searchable archive going back to 1883! Learn More.