IN August, 1908, three students of Christian Science met together on Sundays to read the Lesson-Sermons. Six months later others had become interested, and meetings were held at a private house on Egan Street for nearly five years. The Sunday school, which was instituted during this period, in loving cooperation sent a donation of ten pounds to Australia's second lecture fund.
In 1913 a room was rented in the Mercantile Chambers, Egan Street, and steps were taken to organize, but there were not sufficient members of The Mother Church to do so. At the close of 1913 and early in 1914 (within very few weeks of one another) four earnest students (three of whom were members of The Mother Church and two had had class instruction) and two adherents came to reside in Kalgoorlie. A student from Boulder who also joined, was a member of The Mother Church. Thus were provided readers and substitute readers, men and women. Yet another joined the little band of workers at this time, one who had seen Christian Science demonstrated in the healing of a friend's baby in Perth. All of these had been healed through reading the text-book, "Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures" by Mrs. Eddy.
Early in 1914 all the Kalgoorlie students, after having prepared themselves b' faithful and earnest, study, held a meeting for the purpose of electing an organizing committee. Instead of holding testimony meetings they held progressive-step meetings at which the short reading by the president from the Bible and Science and Health was followed by the clerk's reading from the Manual of The Mother Church. The first step was to place Science and Health (final edition) and our daily newspaper, The Christian Science Monitor, in the public libraries of Kalgoorlie and Boulder. The Sentinel had been previously placed in the Kalgoorlie Public Library, and later the Journal was added. Regularly, on the arrival of fresh supplies, these periodicals were collected and distributed elsewhere.